Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Finally Understood

Just so you know this is not me in my best "down" moment.  This is me at the beach just playing.

Yesterday I thought we were on our way home from mom's work but as usuall she makes a few stops on the way and I wait paitently to get to home so I can run in the yard and play.  This time was different. 

Mom did go into the store but then came back out and took me out for a walk.  I knew she had the liver treats so knew something exciting was going to happen.  We walked a bit and then she called my name and I came closer to her and walla,,  a liver treat for me.

Mom kept the leash on me because it was a busy parking lot, but that is ok because after I sniffed around a bit, mom had my full attention with those great tasting liver treats.  First we did a little refresher course on something I knew well.  Mom told me to "sit", I did and then came the "Good" and some treats.  I know "Good" means I am doing good but the position I just went into is not over.  Then mom said "Yes" and I got up and was given more treats.  Yummmmm

Mom said the "down" word and I just looked at her so she bent at the waist like she was going to motion me down with the food.  I beat her to the punch and was down as soon as I saw her body starting to move.  She said "yes" and I got up.  Mom tried with the word again and again I looked and she began to bend.  When this happened I immediatley went down with only a partial bend from mom.

I think my little brain was catching on.  Not really catching on because before the words were put into play we had months of just bending jestures from mom showing me the postition.  This was a new subject for me was to understand the words without body posture help from mom.

In the beginning when I knew the gesture and food was to come I immediatley went into the position, but when the words came and mom just stood still I was confused.  I am glad she thought of a way by just telling me the word and not bending and then just a bend after the word.  I think she started with the bend with the word and then only did the bend after the word when she knew I did not understand.  But yesterday we had a breakthrough when she said the word and did only little and then less of a bend until she just said the word "down" and so I went.  I got what they call a "Jack-Pot" full of treats then.  We did this a few more times and home we went.  How much fun is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment